Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Coffee Table Update

I've been perusing Craigslist for the last few weeks for a new coffee table. Here's our old one:


It was a hand-me down from my parents when they decorated our apartment after the wedding and it's served us well up to this point. But, because of the glass top, it was always smudgy. Plus I wanted something with a little bit of storage so we didn't have remotes and papers all over it all the time. It's only cleaned off in this picture because this was the picture I took to sell it on Craigslist. The other bad thing about this one was that Derrick and I are feet-on-the-coffee-table people and sometimes during a particularly frustrating NC State game, we'd push off of the coffee table, raise the glass up on one end and have it crash back into place. I was sure it was going to shatter one of these days.

So I searched that list that dear old Craig keeps until I found a bargain! We wanted a nice piece of furniture that was sturdy and looked a little more expensive then your generic college dorm room coffee table. Our college days are sadly getting farther and farther away. I did not want to dish out the dollars for something super nice though. I was willing to take a fixer-upper and totally wow you guys with my DIY skills but then I found this baby:


Looking at this picture now, it kind of looks like it has some dings on that closest leg, but it doesn't. At least not that I've noticed. It's sturdy as a rock! Derrick was conveniently out of town for the pick-up so my friend Holly accompanied me to pick it up and keep me safe. She also helped me lug it up the stairs and into the apartment. It was originally listed for $70 but I haggled her down to $60. :)

 There is a lot of brown going on in the living room now but I have plans for that end table!


Here's my favorite part: The remote drawer!! It's awesome...and I'm lame. It's ok, I embrace it.


Mom thinks I sell things to cheaply on Craigslist so before I say how much we got for our old one, here is my disclaimer to my cheap-o ways.

1. Having the item I'm selling gone and not having to waste space with it is more valuable to me then the cash-o-la. Maybe when we have a garage or an extra spare bedroom I'll be willing to hang on to things for a while longer to get more $.  I tend to erratically purge the house of things and Derrick has to step in and be the rational one, so obviously, hoarding is not an issue here. Except for maybe scissors. I have 7 pair in my desk, 3 in the kitchen, 1 in the knife block, 1 in the bathroom, and 1 in the car...........

2. Selling it cheap means it's gone faster!

3. The table was broken. One of the supports along the bottom was completely broken off. You'd have to weld it or gorilla glue the heck out of it to fix it.

I sold it for $25...to a man named Jody...who drove a big white van. I'm glad I made him wait til Derrick returned home before coming to pick it up. It's too classic of a horror story and everybody knows I scare easy.

1 comment:

  1. Good call on the waiting - you can never be too careful! Also, I love your new table!

    ReplyDelete