Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Oakwood Christmas Tour

Last weekend a client turned friend and I went on the historic Oakwood house tour. We went last year and she is the perfect person to go with. Oakwood is a historic neighborhood in downtown Raleigh. Every year the neighborhood puts on a tour of some of the historic homes decorated for Christmas. Most of the houses are from the early 1900's and a lot of their owners have restored them.

I'm not going to lie, we both liked the houses on tour last year better then this year. This year there were a lot of homes that were decorated like they would have been when they were built. I'm more of a fan of the homes that have been updated and brought into 2015 while still maintaining it's period charm.

I don't have a lot of great pictures of the fronts of the houses because there were always lines out the door but I did manage to catch a few of my favorite details. This house was my favorite. I think it was built in the 1930's and it was a classic bungalow with a very industrial and modern addition off the back.



I should have gotten a better picture of this wallpaper. It has brightly colored birds all over it but if you look closely you can see the birds are all toys! You can see the springs, hinges, and knobs on them.


This outdoor space was great and that fence was hand built by the owner!



This is apparently a very expensive tree that was shipped in from California. Kind of a little Charlie Brownish if you ask me.


This courtyard had me questioning which part of my house I could blow out to make one of my own. It was awesome! The whole house wrapped around it and made an outside room inside!



Finally, one of the last houses we visited was one of the fanciest most ornate houses we went in. Definitely not my style, I would be so uncomfortable living in that house, but still pretty neat to tour. I didn't get any pictures inside but here are a couple outside. 



Hopefully Amy and I can make a tradition out of this. It definitely gets me inspired to make my house pretty for Christmas and it puts us right in the Christmas spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment