Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Christmas Signage

After the Oakwood tour Amy and I stopped in an awesome little shop in downtown and I fell in love with these Holly Raleigh Christmas ornaments and signs. The problem was the price tag. A little ornament was $22 and a 10 inch square sign was $42.

Forty-Two dollars!! I decided I could probably make one myself for a fraction of the cost so when Derrick was off with friends last night I got to crafting. This entire project cost $2.49 because I already had everything I needed except a green paint pen. Derrick was impressed. He has no idea what I have up in that craft room...it's a bottomless pit up there!

Here is my version:





The inspiration was a wood plaque but I had a large canvas so I went with that. I used this method for making the letters and then I just filled them in with paint pens. I already had red and silver but not green. I just eyeballed everything as far as centering and spacing and I realized there was a pretty big gap in between Raleigh and Christmas so I threw in some holly...hence the $2.39 cost of this project. I had to go pick up that green paint pen. 

It was looking a little bland and stark on the white canvas so I made a mixture of brown paint, water, modpodge, and glitter and then wiped it all over the canvas to darken it up and age it a little bit. The mixture was totally a guessing game and I think the modpodge was completely unnecessary. It turned out pretty well though!


Now it's sitting with my glitter tree forest and is the first thing you see when you come in the front door!

Have a holly Raleigh Christmas Y'all!








1 comment:

  1. Whoa! You are totally impressing me with all your crafting! This is really cute!

    ReplyDelete