Friday, September 25, 2015

Trashed

So, Jack turned 21 on Wednesday. 







Just kidding.  That's not what this post is about.

I finally converted our kitchen trash cans to roll outs! Our kitchen doesn't have a great spot for a trash can to sit out. The only spot that really makes sense is next to the refrigerator but that's where Crosby's spot is. 


So we've always kept our trash cans in this lower cabinet next to the sink.



 No one ever knew where they were and trash would always end up in recycling so I ordered these adorable trash and recycling cut outs for the doors.


We had our eye on this system from Lowe's. We had waited to pull the trigger because we'd need two of them and then also two mounting kits which were $20 each so it wasn't necessarily a cheap project. I received the nicest thank you gift from some clients/friends that included a very generous Lowe's gift card so it was the perfect reason to go for it. 

They came like this. Fully assembled in the box, trash can included. And then a separate door mounting kit. 


Basically you just screw the sliders into the bottom of your cabinet. You're supposed to install the mounting brackets after you screw it into the cabinet but ours was a pretty tight fit so I wanted to make sure the brackets were positioned so they wouldn't peak out when the doors were closed.
 

I took the cabinet door down, removed the hinge hardware, and then used these stickies (included in the kit) to temporarily position the door and hold the door in place while I screwed the brackets into place. Our kitchen doors have hidden hinges which was perfect because I didn't have holes to fill so consider that if you're thinking about doing this project. I think I still would have done it, it just would have added a few more steps.


Keeping it real. Project time looks like this.....always. Please tell my why I chose to do the entire project without closing the dishwasher door.


Done with the first one! This is the time of the project where I high-fived Crosby and then realized I had to do it all over again. It's like the second curtain, or the last cushion in a set. The first one is challenging and fun to figure out. The second one is a pain and you're over it.


The second one proved to be more difficult, of course. The sliders didn't line up perfectly straight, and door stickies weren't sticking, and I may have scratched the door a little bit. After a bit of trouble shooting it all turned out OK. And now we can do this!


I LOVE this! I can just slide things off the counter into the trashcan! And these cans are 7 ounces bigger then the other ones we had in there which, as it turns out, is a hugely noticeable difference. We've gotten used to emptying the trash regularly and the small cans never bothered us but this is a huge luxury to have these giant trash cans!

Now I just need to darken my trash and recycle signs and we're officially done being trashy over here!

No comments:

Post a Comment