Friday, September 4, 2015

Grandpa's Art

When I was at Lazy Daze a few weeks ago I kept stopping to look at all the original paintings because it's such a cool thing to have in your house. They kept reminding me of my Grandpa's art though so when we went home last weekend I raided Mom and Dad's storage closet and brought home everything I could find. My parents have a lot of these around their house and I grew up with them throughout my parents house and grandma's house so I'm super excited to have some to display around ours. It's way more personal and I love them!


We have about 11 of them now so they aren't all going to be displayed and I'll eventually have to share with my brothers but for now I'm OK being a hoarder.

This one is my favorite.




For one of my birthdays I asked my Grandpa to paint me a picture of my dog....he didn't paint dogs so he sent me a pink and purple fish picture instead:) I remember being kind of disappointed and pulling one of these:



But now it's one of my most cherished possessions.  I also love this one that's already hanging in our dining room.


Here are a few of the other treasures I brought home this weekend.



I love seeing how he framed these. Mom said he found all his frames at yard sales and this one just makes me laugh because it's a big thick canvas that he just taped into a frame. Classic.


This is another favorite that we'll bring out at Christmas.


I remember Jay and I asking him to paint one in front of us so he grabbed this little piece of foam board and painted this one at the kitchen table with us watching him. Pretty cool.


And this one is GIANT! I think I know just the spot for it but I have to get it back in the frame first.


I don't have a a lot of very specific memories of my Grandpa because he died when I was about 10. My most vivid memory is going on a road trip with my whole family in his giant van. He had one of those huge vans with the tires on the back and a seagull hanging from the rear view mirror. This was pre-Jack so I was somewhere under the age of 7 and I remember him making everybody else sit in the back and throwing a bunch of pillows in the front seat so I could sit up front with him. It was awesome :)

I don't have tons of specific memories but I have very fond feelings when I think of him and I am so happy to have these paintings that will stay in our house. I can't wait for our kids to be old enough to ask about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment