Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Laundry Room Re-Do

Our laundry room looks so good! I seriously love it and it's so nice and clean looking it's making me want to always keep it that way. It took most of our long labor day weekend but I think that's actually pretty quick for everything that we did!

Here's where we started. The walls were the same green color as most of the downstairs.


And this corner was a dumping zone.


I painted the garage door yellow earlier in the week.


And then we got to work painting. I had an entire gallon of Serious Grey left over from painting our bedroom so I knew I wanted to use that color. It was free and I knew it would look good.


I got two coats on in just a few hours and then when Jack came into town for practice he and Derrick moved the washer and dryer away from the wall for me so I could paint behind them.



 Two quick coats and Derrick and Jack moved the machines back into place. Then I got to work building our Ikea shoe storage. We bought this thing with the intention of putting it in the foyer but I totally messed up and didn't measure. We made a quick plan B and I actually love it even more!



I then made an awful curtain for the window. It was bad. It was uneven and too small. I was trying to work with a scrap piece of fabric I had on hand.


 It lasted about 24 hours before I went to JoAnne's and got a steal on this remnant. I whipped up this much better sized curtain and it's much better!


We also built shelves and I'm so proud of them! They aren't perfect but we built them and that's what counts. We wanted to utilize that space above the shoe dresser between the wall and the cabinets.


Derrick and I got a circular saw for our wedding and it sat in the box for 3.5 years until this past weekend. I registered for it, I wanted it, but I was always too intimidated to use it. Then Alexander and Holly needed a piece of wood cut down and my little jigsaw was going to take forever so Alexander and I opened the circular saw up and figured out how to use it. Bottom line, it is awesome! I feel like my entire world has opened up and suddenly the realm of projects is limitless!! Alexander and Holly also gave us the scrap wood left over from their shelving project and it was more then enough to build two small shelves for the laundry room.


Two easy cuts later and we had shelves! I covered the kitchen table with a drop cloth and opened all the window and got to painting while Derrick watched the US Open in the living room. I decided to go with the same white oil based paint that I used on my desk. Oil based paint is such a pain in the butt BUT it dries really hard and I knew these shelves were going to get a lot of use. Plus I had enough left over paint to cover both shelves.



Derrick had the great idea of adding a pop of yellow to the shelves to play off the door. He suggested painting the actual brackets which would have been super cool but it also would have been a lot more time and super tedious without spray paint so I opted to stripe the bottom of each shelf instead.


We found these brackets at Lowes for about $4 each and I liked that they were simple and sleek looking.


Lets just say I was pretty darn proud when these got done and sweet Derrick said we needed to take my picture with them.


So! Here it is! We're done!! Sorry for the grainy pictures...I think my camera is slowly dying.




Hm....looking at these pictures you should probably just come by and see it in person! We're loving it!!


1 comment:

  1. Looks great! I can't wait to see it in person next week before our great trip! I love the yellow stripes on the bottom of the shelves :)

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete