Friday, February 28, 2014

Only took a year and a half!

So, my parents gave me a bench! This is where I would post a before picture of it if I could find it. They gave me the bench while I was home for Thanksgiving 1 1/2 years ago! That's right, Thanksgiving 2012. And I just now finished reupholstering it. It's been sitting in our guest room  junk room since that time and I've periodically gotten it out to work on it. Taking the old fabric off took almost a year and then I had to find the perfect fabric for it. Once I had the fabric I  got motivated for another half a day and then back into the guest room it went.

Anyways, long story short, it's finally done!


I didn't get enough fabric. Of course. But it was actually a good thing. I had enough to cover the bench but not enough for the piping. I briefly considered going back to get more of the same fabric but then I realized I had some scrap fabric in an off white which would be a nice contrast. I'm really thrilled I ended up going that way!


I hesitated on this pattern a bit because our bedspread is pretty pattern-heavy but in the end I stopped caring and went with it because I liked it! What do you think, too much?


True to form it is definitely not perfect. I cut one side too short and had to shove a scrap of fabric behind it so that you couldn't see the foam. I can't staple it or you'll see the staples. I think I'm going to get some iron on hem tape and call it a day. You can also see here that my piping around the leg doesn't line up with the other piping. Again, it's because my fabric was just a tish too short. I'm not worried about it, and if you are....sorry. It took a year and a half. Chances are it will sit just like this for another year.


I need your opinion though. To paint the legs or not paint the legs? I'm thinking a deep plum could be really cool and play off the peacock pattern. Or just a cream to match the trim could finish it off. Maybe a dark navy? Leave them brown? The brown just seems a little weird to me.

2 comments:

  1. Super cute....I really like the contrasting piping. I vote for navy legs, also.

    ReplyDelete