Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Can't Take Him Anywhere!!

We had a fantastic labor day weekend and I will be posting about it soon but I had to post a quick note about how Derrick almost got us kicked out of Food Lion. You know, just so I'll always be able to look back and remember this moment.  

We had just been talking at dinner about things that I would probably do but he wouldn't. He is a rule-follower...but he's also a major smart-aleck!  Sorry Mom (Derrick's Mom)..but it's true. As much as you want to believe he was being a sweety when he wrote that dedication page to Dwayne because "the book was easy to read"....I think Aunt Mel and I agree he was being more of a smarty pants and didn't think too highly of Dwayne apparently.  (For those of you who this story just flew over your head...sorry, that's a story for a different day.)

So, while we were in Food Lion today they only  had one cashier available and the self check-out line where all four stations were in use and the line was about 3 people deep. We waited in line and got to a self check-out station and started rapidly scanning away, determined to prove our youth to the struggling older people around us.  Then that monotone voice came on and told us to "Please Wait for the Cashier". There was, of course, only one cashier and all of the other stations were waiting on her as well. She made it over to us, punched in her override code, and headed off to save the next person.

So we marched on, scanning and bagging, doing everything right and bam! "Please wait for the cashier"!  She was nowhere to be found and there was no obvious reason for the disruption in our scanning. We waited for a few seconds and then Derrick did it. He copied the same motions she had on the computer screen, over-rode the system and got us going again.  The only problem....she walked up ready to help just as he was entering the last two digits of her "secret" code.  I, as sweetly as I could, said "I hope that's alright!" and she said No...that's not alright. The next thing we saw was her running back toward the manager's office and glancing back at us!

So we bagged the rest up as fast as we could and then bam! "Please wait for the cashier".  We briefly thought about overriding the code again....I don't think that would have gone over well, but she came trotting up with a grimace, punched in her code and told us she would be changing it. I guess that was her trying to tell us not to try it again next time. 

It was hilarious and I was so surprised, and then again, not so surprised when Derrick did it. Thanks for keeping me on my toes honey!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness...it just took me 5 minutes to stop laughing long enough to comment!!

    Guess it's Harris Teeter from now on :)

    (And you'll never convince me he wasn't being kind to Dewayne.)

    ReplyDelete