Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Dresser Re-Dressed

Mom and Dad had a surprise for Derrick and I when we went home for Labor Day. They had decorated our room to make it feel more like home. When they moved in they had thrown in a bed and dresser but it hadn't really changed much so they surprised us by making it over. The room was already a light pink so Mom just went with it. She apologized to Derrick for making the room so girly but she justified it by saying I'm her only girl so it's her only girly room to do. Derrick doesn't mind and I think it looks like such an adorable little bed and breakfast room. 


 

Mom had this picture of our wedding party blown up and put on canvas just for the room. I loved it!


And how cute is this little Crosby corner! Mom and Dad know the way to our hearts :)


So Mom had a craft project in mind and asked me to bring my wedding craft paper with me when we came this weekend. I hand made all of our wedding programs and I had paper left over so I brought it with me when we went home. Mom and I used it to decoupage the top of that white dresser. 

Here it is before. Dad came by later and took a magic eraser to all of the scuff marks to clean it up. It's already got that Shabby Chic look to it. Not my style for everyday but perfect for our Shabby Chic get-away that Mom created.


Here are all of our papers. The wedding was mostly greens, yellows, and oranges so there were tons of reds and pinks left over which just happened to be perfect. Any oranges, yellows, or greens you see are from actual programs from our wedding which is pretty special.


Mom and I used wallpaper glue that they had left over from the kitchen reno to mod-podge the paper on. Mom and I laid it all out at first to get clean edges along the sides of the dresser and torn edges on the inside. We switched sides halfway through so it didn't look choppy or like you could tell two different people worked on it.


It was too messy to take pictures while gluing but after everything was laid out we used our fingers to grab a handful of glue, spread it out on the top of the dresser, and then smoothed the paper out on top of the glue. Then we took our gluey fingers and smothered the top with glue. It's really important to squeeze out all of the bubbles during this step. Mom got in a little bit of trouble when parts of hers didn't have any glue between the paper and the dresser, just on top, but it was totally fine. We just pulled up those parts and glued another piece down. Since all of the edges of the paper were torn you couldn't tell at all.  Here it is all finished!
 



I thought I got a picture of it after it dried and had the stuff back on it but I can't seem to find it. It is really cute though. I think Mom and Dad are going to put a piece of glass over the top of it too. I don't think it necessarily needs it but I do think it will look nice. 

Thanks Mom and Dad for making us a cute little room to come visit you in! We love it!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment