Wednesday, September 18, 2013

My Next Project!!

I like to shop. It's just the truth. I'm not a hoarder though...in fact I'm a major purger! I am happy to throw things away if I don't have a use for them right now and Derrick has to stop me from being unreasonable sometimes.  I am my father's daughter I suppose.  But the fact is I still like shopping and I enjoy things and bringing things home.

Derrick works very hard for our money. And I work very hard for very occasional money...True Life: I'm a First Year Realtor.  That being said, I really do try to keep my love for shopping tempered and I LOVE thrift shops!! I found this new thrift shop near my old workplace and decided to swing through after a showing today. I guess showing houses gives me optimism that I might have a paycheck in the next 90 days and it gets to my head a little bit. I feel spendy....

Anyways, I found this gem!
 

Not Crosby. She's a gem too but we don't let her wander Durham Thrift shops. Here he is in all his glory. This picture belongs in a catalog. I'm calling him Jim. Jim smells a little. He's a little on the short side but that makes him perfect apartment size! I'm thinking Jim would look dashing in purple or navy. Suggestions?


I was sold when the guy told me no one wanted it so he was selling it for $15.00. He told me all the young people didn't like it. I got a haircut today and I think it makes me look older. I'm hip! I was even wearing my red skinny jeans today! He must have been confused. I still consider myself a young person. Also, under the cushion I found this last push. 


That's all it took and Jim came home with me! Derrick brought him in for me when he got home from work and now he is sitting here staring at me just waiting for a face lift. I have NO idea how to reupholster a wingback chair but my last chair came out OK and that was a first as well so I'm approaching this one with gusto! I'm giving myself a $25 budget for fabric. Derrick is giving me a $5.00 budget. I hope he likes sitting on feed sacks! I think $25 is pretty reasonable for that amount of yardage, plus it's going to have to be a heavier duty fabric but I still don't want to break the bank. I'll keep you updated on how well I stick to that.

Wish me luck! If you never see an after post about this chair, consider my frustrated and assume the chair has magically turned into a pile of splinters on the lawn below my deck....

5 comments:

  1. Personally - I'm hoping you get paid in 90 days too! Love the chair - you'll have to blog how you do it! I've always wanted to try it, but never learned :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely blog the finished project...once I figure out how to do it :)

      Delete
  2. Wait a minute...didn't memaw ask you a couple of weeks ago if you wanted to try your hand at upholstery? You turned her down!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did talk about it but I didn't know if she was serious. I do remember her telling me she had a weekend project and I told her that's much more then a weekend! I'll give your chair a go if ya'll were serious about it...no guarantees though!

      Delete
    2. Haha...no. It would be a lot more involved than your chair. We bought some furniture that should be here in a few weeks. I think we'll donate the chair in question :) I'll look forward to seeing pictures of your finished product!

      Delete