Thursday, October 24, 2013

Pillow Talk

How cute are these?


Before you praise my amazing creativity and tell me how awesome I am to think of making these adorable pillows all by myself, the idea is not my own. It's my own interpretation, but I saw these pillows somewhere...probably browsing Pinterest. There weren't instructions on how to make them, so I just decided to wing it. I thought they would be adorable sitting on the couch at Nikki and Justin's engagement party and then they would get to take them home at the end of the night. 

These pillows were made very similarly to the Conehead Dog pillow I made for Nikki last January. I used a canvasy beigy whitishy fabric(y?) for the base of the pillow and everything else if felt! It's kind of weird to work with felt....it kind of reminds me of elementary school art class,  but it's perfect for this kind of thing. The edges don't fray so you don't have to worry about hemming every edge to make it clean looking. Plus, it doesn't stretch too much so it's pretty easy to get whatever shape you want. Anyways, the tutorial is pretty much the same as the dog pillow except you have to free hand everything. Don't be scared...it's just hair, rectangles, and triangles! And hair is supposed to be crazy looking :)

Cut all your pieces out and eyeball everything for proportion. You may like more face and less robe. To make my scarf look like one piece, I cut one long yellow piece out and then put the maroon on top of the yellow. That way if any of the pieces are crooked or uneven you don't risk seeing skin......no one wants to see too much skin. 


Pin, pin, pin! Pins are your friend when working with felt! It does stretch just a tiny bit, but the bigger problem is keeping it straight and not letting the fabric underneath wrinkle or get caught up. Oh...and the glasses! Good luck with those. They are fine, just take your time sewing them.


Ron is just like Harry, except easier! No glasses and no scar! Looking at him now, I should have added some freckles.


Same with Hermione. Her hair looks a little mulletish but she had to be distinguishable.


Here they are all pinned and before eyes! I cut out little felt eyes as placeholders. This is good to do before you sew anything so you can make your proportions right. Now, just sew away! I matched the thread for everything except the scarves. For those, I just matched it to the yellow. In fact, I think I used Ron's hair thread. I didn't want to see thread anywhere else but it worked out fine to see it on the maroon parts of the scarf.


For the real eyes I used buttons! I had these green ones on hand. I think from the $1 bin at Michaels! Gotta love those impulse buys! Now, I know Harry has green eyes but these buttons seemed a little extreme to put on as is so I whipped out some craft paint, a piece of old cardboard, and some What Not To Wear and got my paint on.


I LOVE how they turned out! And I think Nikki and Justin were pretty pleased too. I may start a felt pillow business....you know, to go on my chairs when I start my chair reupholstery business.



No comments:

Post a Comment