Monday, February 4, 2013

Getting my Skinny On!

I swore I would never wear skinny jeans. I used to be the same way about three quarter length sleeves. I don't know why I'm such a weirdo! Mom, this is my formal apology for how hard it was to buy clothes for me growing up :)

Well, I got sucked in about a year ago and now I have 1 pair of skinny jeans and I wear them every day! I'm obsessed with them. I found a tutorial on Pinterest to change bootcut jeans into skinny jeans and I knew I had to give it a go to make take my collection from 1 pair to 2! I had an old pair of dark wash jeans that were too short. They looked OK without shoes on but with shoes they were that pants tucked into your underwear kind of awkward.

Here's my victim:


See how they just barely touch the floor with socks on? Time to take care of that!

First, I turned my old baggy jeans inside out and laid my beloved skinnies on top. I lined up the crotch and interior seams of both pairs and pinned along the excess of the bootcut jeans. 




Then, I tried them on inside out with the pins in to make sure I liked the way they fit. I'd post the picture...but it's not pretty.

Next, I used the extra piece of wood that I had from the seat of the chair I made. Yes..it's still sitting in our living room. Even when we clean the living room, it gets put in a specific place.....we've made a special place for our trash. Do we qualify for hoarders yet?

I used the wood as a straight edge and used a sharpie to draw a line along the pins. It's a better visual for sewing and ensuring a straight line. No one wants their inseam to be wonky!



Then, I whipped out the sewing machine. It's kind of boring in my sewing/craft/guest room so I always bring my sewing machine out and sew on the floor. And that's our laundry I'm sitting on. Just keeping it real.


I sewed along the lines and tried them on inside out again to make sure everything still felt right. After I decided they did, I sewed another line of stitching just to give it more support. I'm not looking for ripped jeans during my morning get-my-jeans-on squats. You do them too...don't lie.

Then, I cut the excess off so it wasn't all bulky when I wore them.


Then...ta da!! Jump up and down because it worked!!!


The ankles kind of fit funny so I decided to shorten them a little bit. There is this cool trick where you fold your jeans up into themselves and sew along the fold so that the jeans don't lose their original hem. It's much harder then the tutorial's make it look. I think it's especially that way with skinny jeans because it's so hard to sew the cuffs of skinny jeans w/o sewing the two sides together.  Anyways...I made it work. It is not nearly as pretty as it could be. The stitch line is all over the place and I used green thread...not blue...so it's kind of obvious.  They look fine from far away though.


See how difficult that is???

Not a straight line...not a big deal  
Here they are all finished! I'm wearing them now!! I'm especially excited to have a pair of dark skinny jeans to wear with my boots!



Photo credit to my great blogger husband :)

No comments:

Post a Comment