Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Dressing up the Dresser

I painted the dresser in our foyer a couple months ago. I have really liked the black but I have not been a fan of the valspar chalk paint.  If I try chalk paint again I'll spend a little more on the Annie Sloan stuff because the Valspar was very hard to work with and is still chippy 3 months later.


I was imagining super long handles but the pricing on those things were crazy. The cheapest I could find for the length that I liked was almost $20 per handle which would have been 80 bucks for knobs! When I was at target yesterday I found these perfect gold knobs for $7.99 per pack of two which put the knobs at a total of $32. Way better!

Then came the scary part! I had to figure out how to make 8 knobs be perfectly spaced and level on four different drawers. I made a template by figuring out how far from each edge I wanted each knob to be and finding the center point of that measurement. Then I took the measurement of the height of the drawer and made a hole where those two lines met.



I put painters tape across the middle of each drawer so I could see my marks and also so the holes would drill more cleanly. Then I just matched my template to the bottom corner of each drawer and marked my hole. I flipped my template for the left versus the right side so the knobs were spaced the same from each outside edge.


I was totally winging this! I'd seen templates for cabinet doors but I couldn't find a template for dresser drawers so I just crossed my fingers that the end result would be right. I did check my dots with a level before drilling the holes so I would at least know they'd be level from side to side.

The stupid paint!! I pulled off my painters tape and it took large chips of paint with it. So frustrating!


The only bright spot about this paint is that it touches up well. You can still see it a little in this picture below but now that it's dry you can't see the touch up spots at all. The paint is so streaky though! I'm going to poly it so I don't have to worry about anymore chipping or worry about tip toeing around it when we put things on it.


Here it is with all the knobs in place! My template worked and I am super happy with the results. It dressed it up so much and finally made it look finished. A coat of poly and we're calling this one done!



1 comment:

  1. Personally, I think it looks great. Croz, however, is not impressed.

    ReplyDelete