Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Scotts Push Reel Lawn Mower Check In

I totally meant to mention our lawn mower in my 1 year housiversary post but I forgot. Derrick and I decided to take a chance on an eco-mower instead of a gas powered mower when we bought the house so I thought I'd do a quick run-down of what we think now that we're a year in to using it.

Here is the one we bought:


Overall we really like it and are super happy with this choice though there are a few cons.

Perks: 

-The mower is light weight and easy to use. I do most of the mowing because I tend to be home more during the week and our evenings and weekends are busy so it's nice that it's easy for me to use. 

-No gas! We don't run out and don't have to store it. Major plus in my book.

-Storage is easy and compact. We don't have a huge garage or a shed so it's nice it doesn't take up a lot of space. 

-Price. When we bought it it was $108. Can't really beat that. 

-Maintenance. There is hardly any. I've hosed it off before and just let it dry out really well before putting it in the garage and we do spray the wheels with WD-40 about every 3rd or 4th mow but other then that we don't do anything and it's still working like day one.

-Low noise. It's not very loud so we don't feel bad mowing super early in the morning and Crosby isn't scared of the mower. She is not keen on the idea of doing the mowing herself though. Maybe a con?


Cons:

-Can't let the grass get too high. We've got ours set on the medium/high setting because we have fescue but if we get behind on mowing it can push our grass flat instead of actually mowing it. We had to borrow a gas mower right when we moved in because our grass was so long and I also hired a guy after our Europe trip because our grass was 3 weeks tall and our mower wasn't going to cut it.


-Gets hung up on sticks and pine cones. I'm just cruising along and then I get a handle to gut when a stick gets caught in the blades. Not big sticks either....like a large piece of mulch can cause this so just be aware you may have to stop and unclog every once in a while. This only happens to me like one time per mow.

-Not self propelled. I put up in the perks list that it was easy to use. This is true...I've mowed with a gas powered that also didn't self propel and I think it's just as easy if not easier to use. I've also used a self propelled mower though and it's definitely not as easy as that. It is a little bit of a work out but who can't use the exercise? Our lawn is about .27 acres and flat....we probably wouldn't have gone this route if it was hilly or too much bigger.

Anyways...this is in no way sponsored. Scotts doesn't even know I'm a person but I thought it could be useful if anyone is considering one! We love it and would purchase again.

No comments:

Post a Comment