Thursday, October 8, 2015

Mailbox Take 2

Remember when I had this great idea to make the mailbox easier to mow around so I dug up all the grass and made a flower bed around it?


These were my favorite! So adorable!


Well, then things started to go downhill. I killed two mandavillas.


And those cute little succulents grew up and got ugly! Like gross looking ugly with a red tint on top of the green that made them look like they belonged in a haunted house.

Fast forward to yesterday morning and my super easy to maintain mailbox bed looked like this.


Oh yeah. I know my dad is proud right now :)  Can you even tell where the purposeful plants are among the weeds? I know where they are and I can't even tell.

So, with a big party coming up this weekend I stopped by the nursery after a showing yesterday and gave myself an hour to whip the mailbox bed back into shape. The hour deadline was just because I got home at 6:10 and we were meeting friends at pickleball at 7:30 so I just embraced the challenge and went for it.

First up....weed! Yep...compare this to picture above and you can see how much of that bed was weeds.


Then I decided the succulents had to go. I wish they would have stayed cute but they just weren't. I transplanted those into a equally ugly pot and they are sitting on the front porch as scary Halloween decorations right now. You wish I was kidding.


I bought some lamb's ear, some spurge (seriously??) and re-used the little greenish/red guys that were already there. I also bought 4 bags of soil conditioner and two bags of mulch to build the bed up a little bit.

Better right? I mean..nothing super exciting but you can tell that all of these plants were intentionally planted there which is a vast improvement on what we had.


Don't you just want to rub your face all over that lamb's ear?



Spuuuuuuuuuuuurge!


The lesson you should take away from this post and all other gardening/landscaping posts you might have read here: go somewhere else for your gardening advice. Laurie is not good at this. Trial and error equals error and error at Bayless Ridge. At least it looks presentable for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment