Monday, November 3, 2014

New Wheels

Derrick's got some new wheels and he's looking pretty fly. I realized I never really posted anything about his accident. It was pretty traumatic for both of us and we're still dealing with insurance and attorneys so it's not resolved yet. At the end of August I got a phone call from Derrick while I was showing houses. He doesn't typically call me during the day unless he needs something specific so I answered. He told me he'd been in an accident, was at the hospital, couldn't remember anything, and was going back for a CT scan and then a nurse got on the phone. It was one of the most terrifying moments of my life. Luckily I was with two clients in the medical profession who told me to stay calm and drive slow on my way to the hospital.  

Derrick had been hit by a large truck on his way to work. The truck ran a red light and struck the driver side of his two door '98 civic. Long story short, it's two months later and we're both still feeling grateful he lived to tell the tale.  

Derrick got this '98 civic when he was 16 and it was on it's way out of commission. Mechanically, this car was awesome! We were never in the shop and it only had about 135,000 miles on it which is young in the life of a civic. Cosmetically though it needed a paint job, it didn't have the pep that it used to, the windows didn't roll up all the way, and the AC/heat took quite a while to kick in. Derrick isn't a car guy so these things really didn't bother him and it was just used for going to work and back again.


After the accident we were forced into the car market though and I wanted Derrick to get something he was excited about. We got the Rogue about two years ago and that was my car. He always said when his car conked out he would take the rogue and I'd get the new one but I really wanted him to have something new...he really deserves it. My parents loaned us their spare car for the last 6 weeks while we settled with the property side of the insurance and did some research and last Thursday we went out for some test drives! The timing was actually perfect because dealers are looking to clean out their 2014 inventory and it was also at the very end of the month. We wanted to take advantage of the last day of the month deals so we came back the following day and made the purchase! 
 
Waiting for the paperwork

Derrick is the proud new owner of an Elantra GT. If you need to go car shopping I would totally suggest going on Halloween. It was hilarious. Everybody was dressed up. Our guy was a pirate, our lender was a baseball player, and the manager was iron man. This was the first new car purchase from a dealer for either of us. We're both happy with how it went and I'm pretty sure Derrick is fond of his new wheels. I'm fond of the heated seats :)



No comments:

Post a Comment