Friday, November 22, 2013

No She Didn't!

Yes I did!

I picked a fabric!! Can you believe it?  It's only taken oh...TWO MONTHS!! And I'm actually committed to this fabric now because it's already on the chair. At least partially. My first idea was this fabric that I fell in love with and got at bargain price of $4 a yard.


And then I put it on my chair and did an instagram poll and decided that the pattern was too busy for a full fabric wingback chair. 


So my lovely friend Alison  suggested I recover my dining room chairs in the fabric and I LOVE how they turned out! That gave me confidence in choosing fabric again because after it didn't work for the wingback I was second guessing myself for falling in love with the fabric. You can see the start of the Harry Potter scarves and cornhole bags in this picture too.  Sometimes I get in over my head...


Well...then I hunted online and in stores for a not over the top expensive fabric and I actually ended up buying this. Didn't know that did you? It's because it got returned promptly.  It's a shower curtain from Target and it was on sale for $10. I bought three of them. Then I put it over the chair and Derrick and I decided it was too much. Ugh...


Back to square one and back to the store went the shower curtains.

Then I ordered fabric samples from an online fabric store. Nope...not going to work.

Here's the problem. I wanted something kind of neutral but I didn't want the chair to be boring. I also really liked the idea of linen on the chair but linen is expensive.  Fast forward to earlier this week when I went back to my favorite new fabric store and Ahhhhhhhhhh (that's a high pitch angels are singing type ahhhh).


It's official so if you hate it, don't tell me! It's already halfway a quarter of the way on the chair. I love it! It's a linen feeling fabric and is still neutral while having just enough interest in the pattern. It wasn't super cheap at $9 a yard but that's also not super expensive for upholstery fabric. 

 I have put over four hours into the chair and gotten this far.


And my apartment looks like a tornado has gone through it. Who thought this was a good idea? There are no good wingback reupholstery tutorials online and I think it's because people start them and then try that first inside wing of the chair and give up! Seriously!

Also, do not try this without an electric staple gun. Take it from my personal experience. Oh, and get an extra box of staples. I've gone through 4 strips of staples on this completed section. What you can't see is that the outside chair is still completely unfinished as well. It's going to be a while folks! But the good news is, I think it's going to look great!!!!!


From Far Away.

1 comment: