Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Powerade State Games

This weekend we participated in the Powerade State game in two forms. Derrick played in the pickleball version of the tournament on Friday afternoon and we both played in the ultimate part on Sunday. First thing to note.....there was NO powerade at the ultimate fields!! I expected lots of free powerade. Luckily we got our fill at the pickleball part. I think Derrick and I had almost 5 mini bottles.

I was just a spectator at the pickleball part so I brought my camera to catch Derrick in action. Derrick played in men's doubles with James, someone he met at pickup. They played well but it was Derrick's first tournament and their first time as partners in a tournament setting. They didn't end up winning any games but it was really fun to watch.

The games were held in the Duke tennis complex. Since pickleball courts are smaller than tennis courts they were able to fit twelve pickleball courts in the complex. It was wild!


All of James' co-workers came to watch on their lunch break. To surprise him. I don't know if it counted as a good surprise to him but they kept me company!













This is my favorite one. Atypical pickleball form.



I think Derrick enjoyed it and I forsee many more PB tournaments in our future. I'm not sure if I'll end up playing in any or not. Pickleball still stresses me out a little. It's a whole new culture and I haven't embraced it as much as Derrick has. 

On Sunday we joined our frisbee team and played in 3 games at the ultimate portion of the state games. The weather was gorgeous and we ended up winning first place and a gold medal. 


I don't think I've posted about our new frisbee team and the whole end of Raleighwood so I'll post that sometime soon. 

It was a great weekend! Lots of sun, sweat, and exercise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment