Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Greener Grass

Is anyone else out there skeptical about growing grass? I was pretty sure it was all a giant scam and that our grass was not going to grow at all. I mean, come on. We're supposed to take a patch of dirt and make it into a beautiful grassy landscape with a handful of seeds?? No way.

We started here, with a half dead tree that blocked anyone getting out of their car. Step one was to remove that tree.


That was better but really we realized that we didn't love that bed in front of the sidewalk at all. It was messy, created extra work, and really prevented us from throwing ball with Crosby in the front yard because she would get muddy and drag the mulch all over the place.


So then Derrick and I dug up the entire bed just in time for our yard to be aerated and seeded. Look how bad our grass looked!


Well now, I am happy to report our yard is looking pretty freaking fantastic!

It got out of hand for a while. We were nervous to start cutting our baby grassies and then it rained for weeks at a time over and over again so all of our grass got longer and longer. We let it get so out of hand that our mower wasn't going to handle it so we called in a professional yesterday. He was AWESOME! If you are in the triangle area and need a name, let me know! We typically do all our own mowing/edging/trimming but we ended up hiring out twice this year and it's nice to get it back to baseline every once in while. I think we'll probably do that every year, maintain our self but hire out two to three times a year to really get it good.

He spent 2.5 hours here yesterday morning. I think he cut the grass three times with three different tools, plus he raked all of our leaves and blew all of our grass up and all the debris out. It was perfect timing because the painters had really squashed our grass into the mud around the perimeter of the house. He was worth every penny and he wasn't even that expensive so I paid him a little more then he asked because he was here so long and did such a great job.

 
Look at our baby grasses all grown up! You can still see it's thinner in this area but especially now that the rest of the grass is mowed down to the same height it almost looks uniform! I think we'll have to re-seed again the spring to thicken it up but I am SO happy with this decision to grass this area. I'm also very protective of my baby grassies! I kept moving the painters things off of them and asking them not to step on them.  

 


Look! The yard guy yesterday even trimmed around this thing! I don't even know what this thing is and I've chosen to pretend it doesn't exist because I don't know what to do with it! He actually made it look OK! I'm telling you, we're definitely hiring this guy again!





I posted this picture on instagram earlier today. This is my favorite time of year at our house because this tree in the front yard goes ombre! I love it even more with our fresh new grass and new house color!



No comments:

Post a Comment