Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Change is Coming

The great thing about being a realtor is I've picked up lots of house knowledge that will help Derrick and I in our own home ownership endeavors. The bad thing about being a realtor is I've picked up lots of house knowledge that will keep me in a constant state of paranoia about our own home ownership.

So it only makes sense that when I saw a small area of wood rot outside of our superbowl window I went into full preventative maintenance mode and we are now getting our ENTIRE house painted.


This is a bit more justified then it seems.  First off, I've seen how quickly wood rot can take over your house and then all of the sudden you're paying more to make the repairs then you could have just to paint and prevent the problem in the first place. I've also noticed that 5 other houses in our neighborhood have painted this summer which means we're clearly not the only ones having this problem. Our house is 9 years old and still has the original builder paint on it (which isn't always the best quality). So, we got a few quotes and painting starts on Monday!

Well actually, power washing starts on Monday and painting starts after that. Total it should be about a week long process. I'm pretty excited! I've never been crazy about our exterior paint color. It's one of several shades of tan that make up most of our cookie cutter neighborhood. After getting some recommendations and reading up on it we were going to need to do two coats of paint anyway which means we could change the color for no extra charge! And we are making a big change. Nothing crazy or super out of the box, but a big change.


Choosing an exterior paint color is intimidating! This is not a cheap project and it's not as easy as re-doing it ourselves if we turn out to not like it. If all goes well we won't have to re-paint for 10-15 years so this is a big commitment and we don't want to be the black sheep of the neighborhood. I've been using the Sherwin Williams color studio program to play around with a few colors and see what they would look like on our house. Unfortunately Derrick ruled these two out from the start. 



It's Ok...I don't think our HOA would have gone for it.

We have picked a color but I'm not revealing it until later. That way the only thing you can tell me is "I Love It!" Too many opinions can make the decision harder and I know it won't be everybody's taste but we think it's going to look pretty good. The only other person that got input, besides Derrick and I of course, is my mom because a girls gotta consult her mom on these types of things. And my mom happens to have a pretty good design eye so it was a win-win.

I'll check in next week with an update of how it's going. Hopefully the rain holds off because so far it's been a pretty wet week!

No comments:

Post a Comment