Monday, November 9, 2015

Chair Makeover

Check out this sweet chair I found on the side of the road!


Nikki and I were driving around on the parade of homes and I slammed on the brakes when I saw it. It had been raining for a week straight but it was sturdy and adorable. I let it dry out for a few weeks and it turns out the only reason it was sturdy was because the seat slats were so swollen with rain. Once it dried out they shrunk down and we had a problem. 


So, a little wood glue and some metal braces later and we were back in business. Dear Santa, Laurie wants a kreg jig for Christmas!


Once the chair was sturdy I sanded the whole thing down. My electric sander wasn't great in all the little grooves and I was lazy so those didn't get sanded as well but I did wipe everything down really well with a rag before priming.


I decided to do a graphic pattern on the chair and used leftover paint that we had on hand. I used the blue from the office and then a sample pot of some green I had left over.



And the finished product! I still need to put a coat of poly on it. It's a kids chair so I imagine it will not be used gently and a coat of poly will hopefully help it last. I'm not sure if Ellie can sit in it without straps yet, I guess we'll find out, but our friend's son Sam definitely can!




3 comments:

  1. Thanks Mom! Can't wait to have you here in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be perfect for Ellie for Thanksgiving! I have a portable chair with tray that will strap to it perfectly! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete