Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Rewarded with Pillows!

A couple months ago, I told Derrick I wanted new pillows for our bed. We are using five dollar ones from Target....they don't even fill up our pillow cases! His response to me was "sell a house!". Since then, I got under contract with a house that closed on May 16 and that was the day we were going to get new pillows! It seems so trivial, but it was something to look forward to...something we could have easily gone out and bought any day of the week, but instead we turned it into a goal.

May 16th came and went. I did have a successful closing and we joked that we needed to go get the pillows but we just never made the time to do it. Then I had a meeting with one of my mentors. He asked me how I celebrate my successes. I unabashedly told him about the pillows I had been working toward and then admitted we hadn't bought them yet. He told me I had to buy my pillows!

What's the point of working so hard towards a goal and not celebrating in your own way? What are you working for then? Just to pay the bills? That's not motivating!....well, I guess a hot shower can be motivating...but still!  Even if it's as simple as renting a Redbox you've had your eye on or as extravagant as a dinner date at Ruth's Chris....he reminded me how important it was to actually take those times to celebrate and realize you earned it! Especially early in my career, I need to set the habits of celebrating my successes. Hopefully, one day I'm going to have several closings a month and celebrating each one will keep me going.

I texted Derrick and told him we had to get my pillows and this past Sunday we went to JC Penny and got them!

Pillows are expensive! Thank goodness they were on sale. We saw pillows there for almost $100 a piece! We settled on the $35 a piece ones that were on sale for $20 each, used $10 in rewards dollars and then used a giftcard for the rest! Not bad! And sleeping wise....totally worth the cash!


Thank you Derrick for understanding why I needed to get these pillows! For my next closing, lets get Coldstone!

2 comments:

  1. New pillows are the best. Congratulations on yet another sale! You are killing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I agree- new pillows are the best. Proud of you! Mom

    ReplyDelete