Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Shooting for an A+

With a little inspiration from my friend Courtney I have decided to start putting a little more time into meal planning for Derrick and I.  I've always thought about it and have always wanted to be more conscious about what we're eating but it's been really hard for a couple of reasons.  First...I'm not a good cook!  Seriously...I need practice.  On the very rare occasion that I do cook, Derrick will grade my recipes and I'm lucky if I get above a B (and most of the time I think he grades me higher then I deserve!)

It's also hard because of our schedules...especially this time of year. We both work full time and 2-3 evenings a week we have frisbee practice until about 8:00 at night.  On weekends we're also traveling a lot for frisbee. I also feel like cooking always means a trip to the store which adds time and means a later meal.  Not to mention...I'm not a good cook! The "15 Minute" meal I've heard myths about usually takes me 30-45.

Prime Example for all you "you can't be that bad" people out there: Once, Derrick came over I and I was determined to have dinner on the table by 6:45. I think I started at 5:00.  I was making this spinach chicken florintine that sounded good in theory.  The timer goes off at 7:00 (only 15 minutes off schedule!) and I open the oven to realize I had forgotten to turn the oven on. So...we ate at 8:00 and it wasn't even good.  Gross actually...I think we ended up ordering out.

Because of our busy schedules and my lack of cooking ability, we generally rotate through a couple basic and easy meals.  And they aren't all that healthy or well rounded I'm sure.  To save face, I'm not even going to say what it is we eat...just think right out of college single people...except we're married....wife fail.

So..I'm turning a new leaf! Derrick doesn't even know this yet! And I'm proclaiming it out loud on the internet so I have some accountability. I like the idea of having a set menu for the week and picking one day to shop. I think we'll save money that way and avoid buying food we think we'll eat when in reality it just goes bad. I can also plan ahead for those late frisbee nights and having something ready made the night before that we can just heat up.  I'm not committing to 7 nights a week. Let's be real...that's not going to happen, but I think 3-4 nights a week is a good goal for now.  .

I've even printed out these nifty meal plan/grocery list print outs! I'm all about staying organized and list making! So anyways...starting Sunday meal planning is on! I'll document all the times the fire alarm goes off and the meals are bland right here on the blog! I'm shooting for an A+ grade from Derrick one of these days!




1 comment: