Wednesday, February 7, 2018

15 Weeks with Drake

Sweet Drake is 15 weeks old this week and changing every day! He's getting so tall and strong and turning out to be a pretty happy little guy. He's starting to give smiles out more freely to people other than Derrick and I with Crosby being his next most frequent smile receiver.


Good- Naps! His naps are still pretty short if he's in the crib but I think we've at least established that the crib is for sleeping now and he know the nap time routine. The past few days there has been very minimal fussing for naps which has been an awesome new development. Now if we can just push them past the 30 minute mark!


Bad- The bad is still sleep. I don't know if we can call this a regression anymore or if he's just out of the newborn haze and this is the type of sleeper he is but I've consistently been getting up every 1.5-2 hours and it's been rough. He goes to bed fairly easily but is usually up within the first 2 hours and then we're up consistently from there. He used to give us a good 5-6 hour stretch but we've lost that. We've been feeding him to sooth him back down and it's so hard to know if we're setting ourselves up for failure by doing that because there is no way he should be hungry every 1.5 hours...I mean, have you seen him?  We'll do some cry it out early in the evening but we aren't starting official sleep training until his 4 month appointment and then we'll move him to his room and get to work. February 22! Not that I'm counting down or anything! Derrick has been sleeping in the guest room that past couple nights just so he can function at work the next day and that's not ideal either.


Another bad is he is really rejecting the bottle. I practiced for 3 days before my DPAC show last Thursday and he took it fine for me but Derrick called at 7:00 saying he was screaming and refusing to take it. Derrick essentially put him to bed without dinner and he went straight to sleep so he wasn't starving but he just stubbornly digs his heels in and waits for me to come home to eat. It makes me more reluctant to leave during a meal time for Drake's sake, of course, but also for Derrick who will be left with a crying baby while I'm gone and no way to calm him down. I guess he'll eat if he's hungry enough but it's a challenge we're going to need to work through if I'me ever going to get a break. Even when I was gone last Thursday, my mind was frantic knowing he was at home and refusing the bottle.


Funny- I have some pretty funny sleep talking instances over the years and I typically wake up in the middle of it and realize that no, Derrick is not squashing a baby seal in our bed or a teeny tiny snake. Derrick has gotten used to these, talks me out of it, and then we go back to sleep. A few nights ago Derrick woke up with me frantically patting him all over asking where Drake was. We pull him into our bed sometimes so I think I sleep-thought he was in our bed and I could not find him anywhere! Derrick very calmly told me he was in the pack-n-play and to go back to sleep. Funny now but probably a little freaky to Derrick at the time.


Funny 2- Vampire baby. I was taking him out to check the mail the other day with him sitting up over my shoulder. The house was blocking the sun all the way down the driveway but when we got to the mailbox, the sunlight hit him and he almost flipped backwards. Both hands went flying in to the air and he shot backwards. Clearly we don't get this kid outside enough!


All in all Drake is doing awesome and we're getting into the swing of things with him. I'm primarily staying home with him and am going to be really selective about taking on clients, limiting the number of people I'm working with at a time, and limiting it to only clients that understand my schedule with Drake and who understand he may be with me while I work. I was getting really anxious trying to decide what to do with work but, he's only young once and I'm really enjoying being with him during the day right now. He's only 3.5 months old so everything is still so new and I may change my mind down the road but, for right now, Derrick and I are happy to prioritize my time with him even if that means my career slows down for a while now.


No comments:

Post a Comment