Monday, May 15, 2017

The Baby Update

It's still crazy to think I'm having a baby. We are so excited but it hasn't always felt real up to this point. This morning was the first time I woke up and really felt like I had a bump although most people probably wouldn't notice so I think it will start to feel more real with each passing week. For now though, I'm trying really hard to cherish this time as just the two of us because after November it will never be just the two of us again.  I figured I'd do this first big update and answer all of the FAQ's I'm getting and then I'll just check in weekly or so with a quick update. 

How Far along are you? 
We're 15 weeks and 5 days today although Derrick argues we might be 16 weeks today. I don't think the accuracy matters all that much. We flip to the next week sometime between Monday and Wednesday each week. 

What's your due date? 
November 1 according to the doctor but the ultrasound is measuring October 29 which is why Derrick counts it two days ahead. I think November is a great month for a birthday and I like the fact that it will be opposite of all of the other big events on the Marcey calendar. April, May, and June all have Derrick and my birthday and our anniversary almost exactly a month apart so something to celebrate in November will be nice.  If I could choose, I'd avoid the Halloween birthday but I know I'll be ready for him/her to be born by that time. October 27 is my Dad's birthday so that's a good date too!

When did you find out? 
February 15 is the day I got the first positive test. I remember showing Derrick and he, very gently, said: "Honey....I think there are supposed to be two lines." I'd known for over a week but could not get a positive test so I knew there were two lines, even if it was faint. He was a true believer two days later when I got a darker line.

What's the family think?
They are all super excited! Derrick's mom almost fainted in her chair and my mom couldn't stop staring at my stomach. Both families have been super supportive and excited....it's been fun to update them along the way and watch them be so happy about it.

How big is it?
Apparently we're the size of an eclaire, yellow canary, box of crayons, avocado, navel orange, or an apple. So...who knows?  Somewhere in that range.

Am I showing yet?
Yes but not that most people would notice. Derrick has been saying he can't tell....lier...and one of my best friends Alison has said yes, you definitely are, but not much. So, I think so but I don't wear a lot of tight clothes and I don't think anyone else would know at this point. This week was the first time I could feel something when I slept on my stomach and this morning was really the first morning that I woke up and really had a bump laying down. Derrick couldn't deny that one.

Symptoms?
I'm so sorry to everybody out there who have had crappy pregnancies! I've felt almost 100% normal the whole way through. Not a single twinge of nausea. No food aversions, although sometimes I just don't want to smell something anymore. I don't even think I've been very tired. If I sit down on the couch in the afternoon I could definitely nap but that's not really new. I do think my sense of smell is heightened a bit and there was one week were I got full really quickly but seriously, so far, it's been very easy for me.

Cravings?
I guess cheese? Although I've always loved cheese. Alison opened our fridge and burst out laughing because we have every style of cheese you can imagine in there right now. I guess that's a craving but it's not something I have to have so I'm not sure how to classify it. I've been looking for fried pickles this past week and I'll be excited when I find them but, again, if I don't get them I'll be fine. Is that how cravings work? I don't know.

Exercise?
No more frisbee :( Just because I can't control other people on the field and accidents happen. I've been walking a lot and playing pickleball at least a couple times a week. I plan to play pickleball for as long as I can.

Maternity Clothes?
Not yet but I got the sweetest package in the mail from my older brother Jay. He went shopping for me and sent me a whole basic wardrobe so I'll have plenty to choose from when I need them.  It was so unexpected and definitely a highlight of my pregnancy so far.

Sleep?
Fine for now...except my dreams are crazy.

Gender?
Yes...we're finding out at the end of May. I've had 3 gender dreams and they have all been inconclusive. I have no idea and not really a guess even.

What have we done to get ready?
NOTHING! Seriously...I thought I'd kick it into gear and want to knock everything out and get organized quickly but we haven't done a thing. We know what room will be the nursery so that's a start, right? Derrick has looked at a couple reviews/consumer reports for cribs, strollers, and car seats but we both feel like we have plenty of time. Registering is totally overwhelming...I've thrown a few things on it. The first thing I registered for was a pair of baby earphones so I can yell at my high school kids from the sidelines without waking him/her up. Priorities people!

Ok...that's a lot and probably really boring! Here's the latest picture but this was almost 8 weeks ago so picture this canary sized and that's where we're at now.


1 comment: