Thursday, January 19, 2017

Shelf Fail

Well...I messed up on my craft room shelves. Nothing that can't be fixed, it just means more $$$. 

You'd be shocked to know that my craft room looking like this is not the thing that I messed up. It's not totally normal but not too far from what it typically looks like. It's one of the reasons these shelves are in progress. Once these shelves are up I'll be moving on to getting the rest of the room in order. 


I made a ton of good progress on the shelves during the snow day but work has been so busy I haven't had much time to do anymore. It was actually a blessing in disguise because I came up with a new way to finish them off.


I was able to rip my six inch boards down to four inches and I was really happy with how clean I managed to do that. Then I cut them down to size to fit the front of the shelves.


The plan was to butt them up to each other like this around the corner of the shelf. I didn't like the raw edge but I hoped lots of sanding and an extra coat of wood conditioner would make it less noticeable.


Well then I remembered.... I have a miter saw! Duh! I can miter those corners and it will look amazing! Here's where the mistake came in...I already cut my boards down to length before I realized I needed to miter them. If I use them now, there will be a one inch gap where the shelves meet the wall. I could try and rig something but I really want these shelves to look good. I could go with my original plan but now that I've thought to miter them I don't think I'll be happy with them otherwise. 

So...I'm going to have to buy 4 new boards. 

It's too bad and it's not the cheapest wood but Derrick agreed that I should do it they way I want it so that's the plan. Live and learn I guess. 

2 comments:

  1. I recommend using the extra wood to do a strength/capacity test.

    I'm sure they will turn out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea! This extra wood is just a veneer though but I have some extra 2x4s I could test with!

      Delete