Friday, January 27, 2017

Chalkboard Wall

Derrick and I set a goal for ourselves to eat in at least 3 times a week. Doesn't that sound crazy that we have to set that goal? Here's the problem though...it's so hard! It seems like we're always doing something from 6:30-10 at night so we either have to be super organized and know what we're making before that or be energized enough to cook at 10 PM. No one is that energized!

All this to say, I used this goal as an excuse for another house project! It's not one that I've been thinking about for a long time. It came to me one day and, now that it's done, I love it!

This wall on the side of our pantry is really only visible from the kitchen so it was the perfect wall for chalkboard paint. 


I picked up a quart of paint and did three coats. It didn't even use half the quart but, after some research, some people suggest painting another coat on every year or so to keep it working well.


I was even patient enough to patch the holes.


The other thing I learned about chalkboard paint is you have to condition it. It's porous so they suggest rubbing the entire wall with chalk and then rubbing that in. Then you can erase it. If you skip this step, the first thing you draw on it will never erase. You can't condition it for three days though so read the instructions!

This took 5 sticks of chalk and caused a huge mess.



Now that it's done, I love it! I love the black and I love the location. You can't see it from the living room which is perfect.



 If you write your menu in chalk, it's permanent right? No more forgetting to put the chicken in the crockpot?


3 comments:

  1. Laurie, no joke. I'm waiting for my chalkboard to be delivered, and if all goes well, it's going in the dining room! #greatminds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! It looks good there. Love, Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! But my favorite part us the countdown to Hawaii..hehe 😊

    ReplyDelete