Monday, September 26, 2016

New Guest Room

I've been working on switching up the guest room forever it seems like and I'm finally almost done! There are just a few more things I'm waiting on to come in the mail and it will be officially done. I am SO happy with how it turned out.

Here it is before the revamp. I really tried to like the green because other people liked it but I never could come around to it.


It was a hodpodge of furniture. Derrick's bed from his old apartment, a nightstand and a lamp from my room growing up, and a dresser that I found at goodwill.




For the walls, I decided to use Sherwin Williams "Silver Fox" in honor of Derrick :) We also had a whole gallon and a half left over from the living room. I painted the top 18" white and this was about the time Derrick walked in the room and asked what the vision was. It wasn't much of a looker at this point so I had to promise him that I thought it would look good. At least I hoped it would look good. My visions don't always turn out the way they look in my head.


In the bathroom, I decided to rip out the builder basic towel holders and light fixtures and replace them with brassy/gold ones. Not the old, outdated brass/gold...the newer modern version that's popping up everywhere. The bathroom isn't a huge change but paint and new fixtures definitely makes it feel less like every other bathroom in this neighborhood. Emily Henderson writes a blog that I follow and she recently redid her bathroom. I really loved the sconce she used in her bathroom but I wasn't ready to pay $400 for it. I found a similar version at Lowes for only $35, spray painted it, and wallah! It looks awesome!!



Changing a light fixture is SO easy. The hardest part about this one was getting it level. I also ran into an issue with the light box hitting a wall stud and preventing it from sitting flush so I had to run to Lowes to get a grinder to grind the box down. I'd never used a grinder before and it was pretty crazy and a tiny bit scary. After that glowing review...if anyone needs to borrow an angle grinder, I have one!


We got a queen bed from Michael and Rebecca that they weren't able to use anymore so that replaced the full bed that was in there. I bought a $35 headboard off of Craigslist and spray painted it with hammered copper spray paint. I can't decide if I love how it turned out...I'm still on the fence for the headboard but I think it's probably going to stay this color. It's more subtle in person than it looks like here.


The coffee bar needed to stay in the room in order to keep it out of the kitchen. Derrick and don't drink coffee or tea so I liked the idea of it staying accessible for guests but out of the way of our everyday. I had a vision in my head of a bar height plank stained to it's natural color. When I went to Lowes I found a 7 foot poplar board for $5/foot. It's the most expensive wood I've ever bought but the bar turned out beautifully! I love it! I angled one end so no one gets caught on a corner when they enter the room and I notched a back corner for the kurig cord to slip through.


Sand, natural stain, and polyurethane was exactly my vision for it. I'm so happy with how turned out and it fits that little corner like a glove.


Ok...enough chit chat. Here's the new room!



The nightstands are made from the leftover 3 feet of poplar I had from the coffee bar. I wanted to use every inch of that $5/foot board and I didn't want to pay for nightstands. I finished them in the same manner as the coffee bar and I am thrilled with how they turned out. The lamp is a clearance steal from Target and I'm just waiting on another one to be delivered for the other side of the bed.


I love incorporating my grandpa's paintings around our house and this one had fantastic colors. The mat was a little dated though so I cut a new white mat for it, painted a frame black and it looks awesome over the coffee bar.



The full length mirror from upstairs came down here...I'm thinking about painting or re-staining it but we'll see if I ever get the motivation.


This is probably my favorite part. I've had these half-buckets, from the target dollar spot, for over a year. I was brainstorming what to do over the dresser and I think these look awesome and make a real statement.


The bathroom is still missing the shower curtain and the new mirror but I did get this awesome new shelf installed and it features one of my favorite pictures of Crosby right after bath time.




I'm still waiting on a shower curtain, mirror, and side table lamp to come in and I'm probably going to make some curtains but I've been working on this room since before labor day and I'm so happy that it's almost done. Our first guests come in on Wednesday so I hope they love it as much as I do!




4 comments:

  1. HOLY S**T, LAURIE! This looks AMAZING! I am so impressed with this renovation. The coffee bar and nightstands are great. 10/10

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!! Awesome job! I love the pic of you with your goggles on and sparks flying. The copper buckets above the dresser are great and I love the coffee bar too. Everything looks wonderful. Can't wait to try it out! You get better and better with your decorating skills :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think the white stripe at the top is really cool.

    ReplyDelete