Wednesday, May 20, 2015

I'm writing this from my NEW office!

That's right!! The office is 95% done! That's a completely arbitrary number...Derrick could probably calculate a real percentage for you so ask him next time you see him. He'll love that. I am so so happy with how it turned out and it's only missing a few tweaks here and there so I'm calling it ready to reveal!

As a reminder, here is what we started with:




So much STUFF! Everywhere! I cleared it all out and only brought back in what I actually needed in the office. The dining room still looks pretty messy but that's for another day :)

Here is is after the makeover! Hope you love it! Sorry for the grainy pictures...I think my camera is getting old :(





Gosh...I feel like these pictures don't really do it justice. It's hard to get a whole room shot. Anyways, I absolutely love it! I was able to make or upcycle almost everything. The most expensive thing in the room is the paint! That was definitely worth it though...I am digging the color!

I think my favorite part are the curtains. This was my first time sewing curtains and I really wanted them to turn out well so I went super slow, measured all of my seams and folded over each hem twice so it looks super finished on the back. Also, a nice surprise, some of my old estate sale thread matched perfectly!


I couldn't decide how I wanted to hang them so I ended up going with these curtain hanger for now. I put a big enough hem at the top to leave room for big grommets later if I want but I actually really like how these look. They are subtle and kind of disappear when you back off of them. Also, the fabric is way less neon pink/orange in person.


This is probably the best photo I have of the curtains and wall color together. The window makes it nearly impossible to get a good shot of them. The light blows everything out. They make a huge statement though.


The filing cabinets turned out great! They match the desk perfectly and look so much better in white! That little printer table was a freebie from my office cleaning out their warehouse. I wanted to hide the shredder so for now I just threw the extra fabric from my bulletin boards over it...I'll either hem it and make it permanent or find a better solution later.


Speaking of bulletin boards, I am thrilled with how these turned out! These were also a freebie at the warehouse clean out. I've had them for months and was just waiting to work on the office. They are actually old cubicle walls. Recognize them now? I have one more if anyone wants it...I thought I'd make three but two turned out to be perfect.


I found a fun neutral fabric and it was just a simple recovering job. I didn't even remove the old fabric. I just laid down a layer of extra white fabric I had between the blue and the polka dots to make sure the white didn't go grey. Then just staples in the back and wallah!  I mounted them with the same hanger that we used for the headboard. Those things work great!



And finally, I created a dry erase board out of an old picture I found at goodwill! It's the stripey one on the right. I wanted a big white board to write my client list on so I could keep up with leads and have a way to sort them by time frame. Whiteboards are ugly though. So, I went to goodwill and found a frame that was a good size and had a glass front. The glass is important, dry erase doesn't work well on plexi-glass. Mine had a picture of this sad little girl on it. Weird.


I took the glass out and sprayed the frame the same gold as my filing cabinet and desk accents. Then I taped off the glass with painters tape. I wasn't too anal about this part, I just tried to keep them the same width as a piece of tape so it would look somewhat uniform.


Then I whipped out the leftover paint from my filing cabinets and gave it two coats of white. This is where I thought it went all wrong. I peeled the tape off and then spray painted it again with gold so that the gold would show up in the unpainted areas. I ran out of spray paint at the very end and it looked super splotchy.


Once I lined it with white tissue paper and stuck it back in the frame though the splotches went away and it looked awesome! Just don't turn it over because she'll be watching you.


Now it's all ready to be filled in with my client list!


I'm totally loving it! I'd still like to get a new light fixture in here and we still need to find the printer cord but other then that I'm probably done for now. It will evolve over time I'm sure and you know it will get more cluttered but I'm enjoying the mess free space while it lasts!



2 comments:

  1. Wow! It looks amazing! Great job! I love the curtains!

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new office looks fabulous, Laurie! It looks so cozy, and I love all the details and designs that you used. The paint is great too, for it's not too bright and not too dark either. I'm sure that you're having a great time working there now. Great job! I hope to see how it looks now. Take care! :)

    Derrick George @ ZZone31 Indiana

    ReplyDelete