Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Dining Room Fabric

We found fabric for our dining room chairs! Derrick braved the fabric store with me in Wake Forest. A sweet client of mine gave me a gift card to the fabric store and I was waiting for a good project to use it on. It was still more expensive then I thought it would be....upholstery fabric is not cheap! But it's good quality and will hopefully last forever!!

Here's what we started with! The fabric was in good condition and the seats were really well done but I wanted something with a bit more personality.


I knew I wanted something in the blue family. I thought something red or yellow wouldn't look good with the wood of the chair. I also wanted something that felt a little formal. Nothing crazy...we're not super fancy people, but it is a dining room and the table and chairs are pretty traditional so I didn't want to go super casual.

 We landed on this! This is a pretty true representation of the color. Kind of a tealy-blue. It's a nice heavy-weight fabric and I like the texture in it too!


Derrick asked me on the way to the fabric store when I was going to reupholster them. Immediately....duh! I'm a busy body. Unless I'm feeling lazy, or hungry, or the weather is perfect for doing nothing......  OK, OK...I'm a doer if the conditions are just right and on Saturday the conditions were just right!

Before we headed home we had to sneak in some Ellie time because we're actively working on our favorite aunt/favorite uncle status. This is her Rosie the Riveter look.


The NCSU game started at 3:30 and recovering all six chairs took the first half of the game. It's not typically that fast because I usually try to remove the old fabric. In this case the staples were so tight and there were so many of them we decided to just remove the black backing (to re-use) and reupholster directly over the old fabric. It didn't smell and the new fabric was nice and thick so you can't tell at all.

Look at all those staples. That's about 6 blisters waiting to happen.


Here they are all finished! My electric stapler was also crucial in this project for making this go by super fast. And the pattern repeated enough that I didn't have to worry about centering anything...just making sure it was straight.


Now he can say WE upholstered the chairs. Nice move Derrick.


Here's the final product!! I think they look great! When you look at the whole room it's a pretty subtle change but I think a rug and the hutch will make a huge difference and it's nice to add a little pattern and color to the space.


Slowly but surely! 




2 comments:

  1. Very pretty fabric..... I liked that close up. Great choice for the chairs. You did a very professional looking job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed....pretty fabric and a great job! Really brightens the room.

    ReplyDelete