Sunday, April 7, 2013

Derrick's Birthday Bash

Derrick turned 26 on Friday and we spent two days celebrating! I'm so thankful his family and friends could be a part of his birthday. He really deserves it!

On Friday night, Derrick and I met his family at Carrabba's for dinner. It was so nice of them to drive up to celebrate. We ate dinner then came back to our apartment for cake and facetime with my parents.

I somehow ended up with two giant bowls of pasta. I didn't read that part on the menu and was totally surprised. 


He got angel food cake with whipped cream and strawberries for his first birthday cake. You'll notice a trend with his second cake. 


Mom and Dad facetimed in for What I Love About Derrick and Jack facetimed in to them. Leanna is holding them up to sing happy birthday. If you've never had happy birthday sung to you from 3 different locations via the media you should try it. It makes for a very funny birthday song. 



The next day Derrick didn't know what he was in for. I told him to be ready to go at 9:45 for a day full of surprises. All of his best friends met us at Briggs for brunch at 10:00.  He told me after we got there that he thought that was what was going to happen. I don't think I'm very good at this surprise thing.


Derrick and I had a frisbee game to get to so everybody parted ways with plans to meet up at 5:15 at our place. Derrick didn't know about any of this and had to run into work at about 3:30 that afternoon. I was stressing a little bit but told him to make it back by 5:15 if he could. It actually worked out perfectly because Holly and Alexander got to our place before Derrick and we were able to get the 2nd cake in the fridge before Derrick got home.

Once Derrick got home I handed him a puzzle that would reveal our next destination. It was a crossword puzzle. The clues were pictures of NBA and NC State basketball players and he had to know the name that I call them for the crossword. (ex: Blake Griffin = Brandon, James Harden = Beardface). He flew through it without any issues. Then I gave him another puzzle where he had to pick out specific letters from the crossword puzzle to spell the address of our next location. Luckily I was sitting right next to him because there were a few mistakes in it :)


After he googled the revealed address he found out we were heading off to Rush Hour Karting!  This place is awesome. It's a go-kart track where the karts get up to 40 MPH. We were signed up for the sprint race which consisted of a 5 minute practice, 6 minute qualifier, and a 10 minute race.

Here are all of the couples in their head socks.




 Meredith didn't race with us but was awesome and took pictures!





Here were the results after the final race. Kevin took #1


The boys as they finished: (Alexander's face is the best in this picture)


And the ladies:



After racing we headed back to our apartment for chicken tacos, cake, and games! I was excited to use both leaves in our kitchen table :)



Crosby wasn't as excited about the party hats as we were. 


Here's Derrick's 2nd birthday cake! Strawberry shortcake from Nantucket Grill. He loves this cake and had a piece for breakfast this morning. I'm sure the leftovers will be gone by tomorrow.


Kevin, thanks for helping him out! BFF's for Life!


The rest of the evening was filled with games and quality time.


Thank you to everybody who helped make Derrick's birthday so special! It turned out perfectly and I'm so glad we were able to celebrate together!!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like it was a fantastic weekend. Thanks for having us over Friday night! Great pics, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great planning, Laurie. Too bad Derrick never got to be a spy! Side note: I'm still super sore from go-karting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! I have matching back bruises on both sides. Must be from all of the losing I did, haha. A super fun day, though!

    ReplyDelete