Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Beach Trip Part 2

Tuesday was the last day that they weather channel seemed to be able to guarantee not too much rain so the guys took the opportunity to go golfing. Michael and William bought clubs at the Humanity ReStore and Derrick and Alexander caddied for them. Derrick can't play golf with his bad shoulder right now...he still has a physical therapist to yell at him. Team William and Alexander won. I hear the course was pretty terrible. While the guys were off golfing, Holly, Rebecca and I soaked up some clouds on the beach for the morning and then visited Lucky Dog cafe for lunch. It was the size of a single wide trailer...I'll give it  a B+. I wasn't blown away but I was happy to try something local.  


Tuesday night, we ate at Robbi's Reef. We tried to go there on Sunday night but they are closed Sunday and Monday so we went back the first night they were open. It's a seafood restaurant but I was pleased that they  actually cared what their non-seafood items tasted like. Derrick got a delicious Italian sausage sandwich and I got a delicious salad. It was so good we went back on Friday and ordered the exact same thing!




Now...the best part of our week!!! Drum Roll please.......

SHARKS TEETH

Venice, FL is home to one of the best Sharks Tooth hunting beaches. We went for the first time on Tuesday but I wish we had done it the very first day we got there...even after that long drive. I LOVED it! There were tons of people out there hunting. We searched our kitchen and found about 8 colanders so we took those out there to sift through the sand. I found 85 total! Derrick was a good sport and watched over my sharks teeth as I ran back and forth from the ocean. Holly and Rebecca really got into it too, as did William although he had unfortunate timing. A not-to-be-missed game of bocce started just has he hit his groove and found his first one.  He found more the following day though!


This is also where we met Mr. Giant Turtle. I touched him...Derrick did too, however, it was through wireless phone connection. I had him on the phone while I touched him. It was terrifying and awesome!


Thursday Andrea really hit hard. There were tornado warnings and I was busy positioning myself closest to the safest place in our house should a tornado strike. I would have been ready! We did get a little lapse in the storm during the late morning and I told Derrick we had to use this time to go Shark Tooth hunting! I told you I was obsessed right? Everybody but Alexander was convinced it was a great idea too so we piled into the car and headed out! It was only when we encountered the flooded beach road that we started to wonder if the idea was as grand as it seemed. There was caution tape on all of the beach entrances and cars were leaving there as quickly as they could. Not to be deterred, we parked, found an entrance that had not been barred yet, and headed onto the beach where the ocean was almost up to the boardwalk! My obliging husband jumped in the ocean and sifted away until he found at least one tooth! William videoed it...I'll post it if  I can get it from him. The wind and waves were CRAZY! It was pretty cool.

That night we escaped Andrea with some more bowling and some Mexican food.

Rebecca looked adorable in her bowling outfit.


William wore the big hat at the Mexican restaurant.





Friday we finally got some sun and I, not so subtly, rushed everyone out of the house so we could soak it up. I was so excited to get at least one day of the sun. It was a great end to the vacation! Holly and I even napped by the pool that afternoon...perfect!

A 13 hour car drive later and we were home. It was definitely too short but also much needed! It was nice to  set work aside (I only had to take 1 call and answer a few emails) and Derrick was able to disconnect from work for the most part as well. I think we both needed that and it came just at the right time!

Next up...Girls weekend in St. Louis this coming weekend! Derrick's so sweet for letting me take off with just the girls. It's going to be a blast!





2 comments:

  1. You always know how to have fun!....Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Lucky Dog could have been better, but at least we gave it a go! I should count how many shark teeth I found.

    Side note: Michael's pretty skilled at not looking in the camera. He doesn't know where you're supposed to look (Hint: Not at the flash!). He's gotten much better at it though!

    ReplyDelete